Exercise ball or stability ball is one of the most simple as well as a most effective tool in the fitness world. The stability ball exercises always prove themselves is one of the most effective workouts for strengthening your core and pelvic muscles. Stability ball is not only used for fitness purpose but it is also used to treat some medical conditions around the globe, that’s why people call it by different names like an exercise ball, balance ball, gym ball, etc.
A stability ball can take your workout to the next level but using an exercise ball as a beginner can be a little tricky, sometimes. The best thing you can do as a beginner is to start practicing with simple leg and core exercises to built up your confidence.
Stability ball makes your body habitual to work as a single unit at the same time, like while you working on your core and muscles surrounding your hips also keep engaging your shoulders to maintain a full range of motion.
Stability ball also helps to strengthen your joints as we know that stable joints are less prone to injury. Strong and stable joints give you weightlifting and athletic ability to perform.
Best Stability Ball exercises
Before knowing about best stability ball exercises. First, you need to select an exercise (stability) ball according to your height. Yes, gym balls come in different shapes and sizes. Selecting a perfect ball for your height is very simple. You just need to sit on a fully inflated ball with both feet should be flat on the floor, then you need to check whether your knees are on a 90-degree angle or not while sitting on the ball. If yes, then you got a right size ball for yourself, know you are good to go to learn some gym ball exercises. So, here are our top 6 picks of stability ball exercises.
1):- Stability Ball Jackknife
This move directly hit your lower abs and hamstrings. Jackknife exercise is known for strengthening your abs and hip flexors. In order to perform proper gym ball jackknife move, follow:
- Firstly, you need to get into plank position by hands directly underneath your shoulders while putting your ankle over an exercise ball. Keep in mind that your body should form a straight line from your head to ankles.
- Now start pulling your feet towards your chest, while keeping feet on the swiss ball.
- Pause a little and reverse the movement.
- Perform 12 reps of 3 sets.
2):- Overhand ball squat
This move works on your arms, legs and deltoid muscles. The overhead ball squat may not look much effective at a first glance but actually, it is. In order to do proper overhead ball squat, follow :
- Hold a ball over your head with straight arms.
- Then bend your knees and do a squat.
- Perform 3 sets of 15-20 reps.
3):- Stability ball hamstring curl
Stability ball hamstring curl seems to over the top acrobatic move at the first glance but it is considered to be one of the most simple and effective stability ball exercises for your hamstring and glutes while engaging your core at the same time. In order to do stability ball hamstring curl, follow:
- Lie with your back on the floor and put the back of your calves on the ball while keeping your leg straight.
- Now, tighten your core and squeeze your glutes while raising your hips off the floor.
- Now drag your feet towards your hip until your knees form 90 degree angle.
- reverse this move
- Do 3 sets of 12 reps.
4):- Triceps Dips
Doing triceps dips using stability ball work effectively on your triceps as well as on your upper body at the same time. In order to do triceps dips, follow:
- First, sit on the ball with your legs forming a 90-degree angle.
- Now, keep your knees apart from each other and place your hands on your hips.
- Then, slowly move your hips forward so that they are few inches in front of the ball.
- Now, while making the use of your triceps lower your arms down a few inches.
- Return to the starting position.
- Do 3 sets of 10 reps.
5):- Stability ball rollout
Stability ball rollout is a very simple move to perform which will prove himself very effective for your abs and rectus abdominis. This move tests your stability as well as core strength. While doing this exercise make sure to roll out until your shoulder is fully extended through a full range of motion. In order to perform this move, follow:
- Kneel on the floor facing stability ball within your arm’s reach and place your fists side by side on the upper side of ball closest to hips.
- While keeping your back flat, brace your core tight then slowly roll forward so the ball comes to your forearms until your body forms a straight line from your head to your knees.
- Hold for a moment, then roll back to the starting position.
- Do 3 sets of 20 reps.
6):- Stability ball Standing plank
Stability ball standing plank is a very effective move to strengthen your shoulders and your arms. It also increases the intensity of a normal plank. In order to perform this move, follow:
- Stand holding the ball against the wall at chest height. Now, take your le4ft leg and stretch it behind, while resting your arms and elbows on the ball.
- Repeat same with RIGHT leg.
- Do 3 sets of 10 reps.